Baking soda can help fight stubborn stains, brighten faded laundry or get rid unpleasant odors. Here are five ways to use baking soda around the house.
- Carpet stain remover. Get rid of pesky stains with a homemade stain remover. Mix baking soda with water to form a thick paste. Spread the paste onto the stain and let the mixture dry. Vacuum up the paste and enjoy your blemish-free carpet.
- Color brightener. Brighten your clothing by mixing baking soda with your laundry detergent. When adding baking soda to your laundry, use less detergent.
- Sponge cleaner. Renew your kitchen sponges by soaking them in a baking soda bath. Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda with 1 quart of water. Drop your sponges in and heat the water in the microwave. Let the mixture cool and enjoy your clean sponges.
- DIY air freshener. Create a room-freshening spritz with a few around-the-house items. Add together 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of baking soda and one-half cup of lemon juice. Shake your mixture and spray as needed.
- Stove cleaner. Use baking soda to clean your stove. Sprinkle a dusting of baking soda on your stovetop and wipe it up with a wet sponge. Sometimes, tougher grease requires several dustings.